Tiny House Building Workshops
October – November, 2017
Join us for a fulfilling workshop and:
- Gain hands-on experience building a tiny house
- Learn construction basics, including experience with a variety of tools and materials
- Collaborate with others
- Participate in open, relaxed discussions during the evening gathering – often around a fire
- Experience the beauty and solitude of Highland Lake Cove
Throughout the workshops, we will cover:
- Framing, Roofing, & Exterior Finish
- Water Use & Storage
- Building Green
- Air Quality
- And More
Workshops will include:
- Tours of the property here, including wild edibles tours when available
- Discussion of tiny house economics, design, building fundamentals, and choice of materials
- Featured projects – a piece of functional art that you will be able to bring home with you
- The full story of one tiny house – the richest experience will be to attend all workshops
- Something for everyone – no matter your level of experience
Building is only part of the experience…
Our integrated building and enrichment workshop is inspired by one of the original pioneers of the tiny house movement, Henry David Thoreau. As Thoreau writes in Walden, “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
That same quest that Thoreau was on – to live deliberately and see what life had to teach – is the same driving force behind many who choose the tiny house lifestyle today, almost two centuries later. People long to get out of their big boxes and reconnect with nature, each other, and themselves.
An important part of this workshop is community – offsetting the simplicity of the tiny house lifestyle with the richness of the participants and instructors you will meet and collaborate with.
Workshop Dates & Schedule
In October and November we offer 5 weekend workshops. If you’re not local, you’re welcome to camp on site Saturday night, and Friday as well if needed.
These Tiny House Weekend Workshops will be offered on:
- October 14-15
- October 21-22
- October 28-29
- November 4-5
- November 11-12
The schedule for each of these weekend workshops will be:
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm: Meet & greet/recap; instruction for current project
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Lunch, tours, and enjoying the beauty of the property
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Hands-on tiny house building experience
- 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm: Evening gathering – discussion & dinner
- 8:00 am – 8:50 am: Breakfast
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm: Hands-on tiny house building experience
- 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Lunch
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Take-home functional art project
Because these workshops will center on a tiny house building project that is already in process, we will know the focus for each workshop approximately the week before. This particular tiny house project will start with a finished exterior, and will work to bring the interior from a shell to completion. We will discuss the history of the project as well as what it took to get the exterior finished. There will also be ample time available to discuss participants’ tiny home ideas, questions, and dreams.
Pricing & Registration:
Thoreau built his cabin in the spring of 1845 for a total of 28 dollars and 12 ½ cents. Our budgets may be different than his was, but our desire to use natural, sustainable, and recycled materials is the same.
The cost of each two-day workshop is $220, which includes camping and 4 meals: lunch on Saturday through lunch on Sunday. Attend one or attend them all. (But attend them all.)
We offer a 15% discount for those who would like to sign up for all 5 weekends in advance (a total of $935 after the discount). We want these workshops to be accessible to everyone; we have scholarship and varied scheduling options available. Please email Jana Amsellem with any questions.
*** Please bring safety glasses, ear protection, and gloves if you have them.
Registration is required:
Register Here for One Weekend at a Time:
*** Please include any dietary restrictions in the “Message” field. ***